The Music Director is responsible for directing the music ministry and developing and maintaining the music program which is in keeping with the wishes, needs and resources of our Church. WE HIGHLY PREFER SOMEONE WHO BOTH LEADS WITH VOICE AND INSTRUMENT (keyboard or guitar), but we will certainly consider an applicant who is strong in either quality.
• This is a part-time position of 10-20 hours per week.
• The staff of our Church works within a cooperative team setting and it is understood that the candidate will be a full participant in this team model. All staff members report to the Pastoral Board.
• The following is a general summary of responsibilities; actual responsibilities may change over time, to accommodate new programs or staff changes.
Specifically, the Music Director is expected to:
CONGREGATION and WORSHIP
• Develop and support effective musical leadership in the church.
• Foster the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministry in worship at our Church and its outreach events.
• Provide leadership in music during services: Direct the Praise Team for 11:00 AM Sunday worship.
• Be familiar with the overall goals and vision of our Church.
• Understand how the overall ministerial goals of our Church influence the music programs, and help facilitate these goals. Also, work to integrate these goals by growing the depth of the worship for the whole congregation
• Assist with the selection of music for Sunday Services.
• Plan and prepare special music for events throughout the year, particularly Easter and Christmas.
• Oversee and facilitate communication among the Ministerial Staff.
• Attend a weekly production/post-production meeting.
• Collaborate with the Senior Pastor on music for worship services.
• Work with the Senior Pastor to determine the appropriate mix of musical styles (gospel, contemporary, or traditional).
• Attend occasional professional development workshops to continue enhancing the quality of ministry in the music ministry.
• Administrate the organization of sheet music and projected music.
• Provide effective and appropriate weekly rehearsals for vocalists and instrumentalists.
• Track and report any copyright license usage for music services.
• Link with organizations, people, and resources in and beyond the congregation that are related with music within the church.
• Continue education in both music performance and theory.
• Exercise discernment and sensitivity to the needs of the people that make up our Church so that music is appropriate to the needs and growth of the congregation (both musical and liturgical).
• May oversee development of new youth and/or children's choir.
• Other related duties.
• Since the position involves a good deal of independent task management, the candidate should be self-directed and efficient with good communication and leadership skills.
• Be skilled in music ministry direction and growing the ministry (personally and numerically) through personal rapport and team building.
• Must be able to lead vocally, and preferably also play either keyboard or guitar.
• Must have the ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages and musical backgrounds.
• Should have an interest and knowledge of a wide range of music.
• Have experience on leading groups of 5-10 people and working with volunteers and committees.
• The ability to produce/arrange music that positively contributes to the congregation's worship experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• An undergraduate degree with a Major in Music or 3-5yrs equivalent level in directing music ministries and/or performance, along with doctrinal agreement with the our Church Constitution and Articles of Faith.
Location/Region: South Jersey