Position Purpose/Summary: Primary function is to provide high-quality veterinary care to animals in the care and custody of the Thomas J. O’Connor Animal Control and Adoption Center (TJO). Assists in developing, advancing, and implementing shelter medicine protocols and delivers and ensures humane medical treatment of all animals. This position also works with the District Attorney and law enforcement on cases of animal cruelty. This position reports to the Executive Director. Supervision is exercised over a team that includes veterinary technicians and clinic volunteers.
- Examines, diagnoses, and performs routine and emergency medical treatment on all adoption center animals.
- Vaccinate animals against diseases common to species of animals found in shelters, and according to applicable law.
- Prepares quarantine reports for City and State which require veterinary title; report reportable diseases to City and State as required.
- Performs surgical sterilizations; emergency or reparative surgeries, including dentals on all species.
- Maintain patient medical/surgical records.
- Provides consultation to staff regarding euthanasia based on animal's physical and behavioral condition. Performs humane euthanasia.
- Oversees drug and medical supplies inventory ensuring DEA requirements are met.
- Establish and maintain relationships with community and relief veterinarians.
- Oversees that appropriate personnel have been trained to administer vaccines, perform tests, euthanasia, and other medical procedures.
- Work alongside animal care team to prevent and control disease in the shelter animal population.
- Reports suspected cruelty as required by law. Prepares reports for suspected cruelty and builds relationships with MSPCA, police, DAs. Testifies in court when needed.
- Provides after-hours communication with TJO staff or emergency veterinary staff for guidance or recommendations on injured animals.
- When designated, acts as a media spokesperson for TJO on topics relevant to veterinary medicine and animal care.
- Attends community vaccination clinics and other programs offered by TJO.
- Performs other duties as required.
Location/Region: Springfield, MA (US - 01104)